Book Review: Breakaway: A friend to lovers romance


Breakaway: A friends to lovers romance by [Orgeron, Heather M.]

(From Amazon Site)

Book Blurb:

I fell in love with my best friend but he didn't love me back.
Sounds like a cheesy line from a country song, right? Too bad it's the story of my life.
I thought that I’d moved on, swore he was the one.
But that facade began to fade in the flash of a half-carat diamond ring.
Now years later, here I am, running back to the boy who broke my adolescent heart, hoping that just maybe, he’ll be the one to piece it back together.
....
I fell in love with my best friend while she fell in love with him.
Ironically, it was my own damn fault. I practically served her up on a silver platter.
So I turned to my second love, basketball, moving across the country to escape.
For years, I’ve been sitting on the sidelines watching, waiting.

Now it's time to make my move.
No more fouling out.
This time, I'm going to score

Review
Breakaway is the third title from author Heather M. Orgeron, and let me tell you I just became a fan of hers. I found this book to be well written, and had enough conflict for me to scream at my kindle as I read through it. While part of me wanted to put the book down out of frustration due to conflict, the only part keep whispering in my ear. It’s going to be okay, just give them a chance. In the end, it’s a romance right? There’s a HEA in the book folks trust me. Just keep reading it. Therefore, I’m giving this book 5 out of 5 stars. The characters had excellent arcs, the story plot and pace were excellent. The characters kept me engaged, even when I wanted to shout my frustrations with their romance. I think I may have even complained to my wife once or twice about the characters. I don’t know, but it’s been a while when I’ve been this connected to the characters.
I loved both protagonist Colt and Alexis. First off, I love the name Colt. It reminds me of one of my favorite childhood movies 3 Ninjas, the fact the author picked that name gives her extra bonus points in my book. 


His internal and external battles for his feelings for Alexis were excellent and I understood, his reasons for many of his actions. I felt the same way about Alexis. My one pet peeve, was one of the Colt’s friends was named Blex. The author couldn’t find any other name that didn’t rhyme with Alex? I had to increase the size of the lettering on my kindle to make sure I wasn’t getting Blex confused with Alex. Good thing I did or this book would have been a whole different romance. Getting back to the review, I loved Alexis. She was goofy, outgoing, and seemed like a great person to hang out with. I did think it was weird that the parents just let these two shack up and sleep in the same bed since they were little kids. I understand ages 8 and below, but anything above that, I’m scratching my head.
Getting to the plot and pacing. There are some SPOILERS next. So if you are still reading this. You have been warned!
Like I said before, I loved the plot and the pacing. It was very well done. This book can go into the category of a weekend read; due to how well it flowed. (I know it didn’t take me a weekend to read, but I felt like I could read it in a week.) When things seem perfect, it’s hard to find a flaw. I call it extreme nickpicking. My one pet peeve with the plot is the fact that Alexis left a note for Colt, expressing her love for him, but that’s all she left him. She didn’t call his phone to leave a voice message nor did she text him. I feel like if she claimed to love him that much, she should have at least called him leaving a voice message on his phone before she left. I understand that once she saw Dean’s dad and the cheerleader answering the phone made her give up her attempts to tell Colt how she felt, but I would have left a text or voicemail  before I left. Not to mention, she most like had time to text him before the plane left Los Angles. Leaving notes are so 20th century!
Overall, I gave five stars to Breakaway, but honestly I found it was a great read. The book had some diverse characters, and the plot was engaging. If you are looking for a good friend to lovers’ trope, then you should read Breakaway.


Buy Links:

Author Links:
Facebook: Facbook
Reader Group: Heather's Hunnies
Twitter: Twitter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Book!

Cover of the Month

New Release