What Cover Should I Use For My Contemporary Romance?





Sorry shirtless men, but the times are changing…





In a recent twitter poll, I asked my follow romance readers, what book cover attracts you to purchase it.

In the poll, I’d included four options of either, a shirtless man, a romantic couple, a solo female, or other. Based on the top ten selling novels in the contemporary romance on Amazon, I had a feeling that the results would be mixed, but would favor the shirtless man clichĂ©.


However, based on the results I was dead wrong.

The classic solo male cover is no longer popular as it came in dead last of the polls. With a ranking of fourth, the solo male category was beaten by the third place solo female, the second place other category and the first place romantic couple.

So what cover is the most popular?

Based on the comments, the romantic couple is the gold standard for all romance.




Personally, I agree with this result. As a reader, I’m always looking for a loving couple on the cover, specifically as a interracial romance reader. What was once considered taboo fifty years ago, is now an up and coming niche in romance and I believe to properly sell this category is to include a beautiful couple embracing each other.


I also had a lot of commenters saying that instead of seeing actual people, they prefer to see either a illustration. Having cartoonish contemporary cover is a growing trend in the genre, as many new books are including this as their cover. For cartoonish cover, I’m not a big fan, as personally I would like to have a picture of what the main characters look like. Perhaps that stems from my childhood years, where the drawings of the main characters were always prevalent.

So whats the best bet for maximum sales of your book? A romantic couple in a loving embrace.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Updated Content?

New Book!

Cover of the Month